Key hospitality updates

For VIC:
Temporary Limited Licence available to supply liquor off-premises – no fee

All application fees associated with the following temporary limited licence applications will be waived (online application system is currently being updated to reflect this).

If you hold a restaurant and cafe or on-premises liquor licence, and there are no conditions on your licence that already permit the supply of liquor for consumption off your licensed premises, you can apply for a temporary limited licence to supply a limited quantity of liquor for off-premises consumption.

Licensees who operate a restaurant and hold either an on-premises or restaurant and cafe licence
may apply for a temporary limited licence that authorises the supply, for off premises consumption, of limited quantities of liquor to customers who are purchasing a meal. This limit is:

  • one bottle of wine,
  • OR one six pack of beer, cider or pre-mixed spirits.

Customers may purchase this liquor either when ordering a meal for delivery, or when picking up a meal to take away. Please note that liquor cannot be supplied if a meal is not also being purchased in the same transaction.

Licensees who hold an on-premises licence and do not operate a restaurant,
may apply for a temporary limited licence that authorises the supply of limited quantities of liquor for delivery to customers.
This limit is:

  • two bottles of wine
  • or two six packs of beer, cider or pre-mixed spirits,
  • OR one bottle of wine and one six pack of beer, cider or pre-mixed spirits.

Licences that allow the supply of liquor for consumption off the licensed premises,
can operate a delivery service and allow customers to purchase liquor to take away.

Delivery of liquor 

Delivery drivers should sight identification of persons receiving orders that include liquor to ensure they are not delivering to someone under the age of 18. There is no requirement to physically handle the identification produced.

Liquor licensees are also responsible for verifying the age of their customers for liquor supplied from their licensed premises, including in the case of delivery.


These temporary liquor licences will only be in force until the earlier of 15 September 2020 or the date on which the Declared State of Emergency Victoria in response to COVID-19 on 16 March 2020 ceases to be in force.

Licensees who wish to apply for a temporary limited licence can apply online, see: Temporary Limited Licence application

VIC: Read details in full here

For NSW:
Flexibility in Liquor Licensing Regulations – ensure systems of control in place

Not all licensed premises are authorised to sell alcohol for consumption off the premise. In these circumstances, Liquor & Gaming NSW will take a common-sense and pragmatic approach to enforcing the liquor and gaming laws.

This includes where a licensed premises, such as a restaurant, café or small bar, does not have authorisation for the sale or supply of liquor for consumption away from the premises, but wishes to provide take-away or home delivery services.

Liquor & Gaming NSW will generally take a supportive and educative approach to compliance with these requirements during this time except in cases of significant risks to patrons or the community, and will also take into consideration genuine attempts to comply with licence conditions and other requirements.
It is important to note that compliance and enforcement activity will continue.

Changes to the Liquor Regulation 2018 will be progressed to provide certainty to these arrangements. This compliance approach will remain in place until such time as changes can be made to the Liquor Regulation 2018 to formalise these arrangements, or for as long as the Public Health (COVID-19 Places of Social Gathering) Order 2020 remains in force, unless otherwise advised.

Policies, procedures and controls around take-away sales and home deliveries
All licenced premises making take-away sales or undertaking home deliveries should have a system of controls in place to ensure that liquor is not sold to minors or to intoxicated persons. The Liquor & Gaming NSW website,, contains more information on appropriate evidence of age and prevention of intoxication, which may assist in preparing policies and procedures and clarifying legislative obligations.

NSW: Read details in full here

WA: Please check for updates

We have not managed to locate updates for WA from official sources.
Please check the department site here for updates to regulations.

Have you updated your Google listing to reflect your takehome/delivery offerings?

With the new regulations in place, some of you might have only just started offering food delivery or take home meals. Your operational hours might have changed as well.

Have you updated your google business listing? It makes it easier for you to be found for food delivery options when a potential customer is doing an online google search.

If you need assistance with this, let us help you (for free!)
Email or call 0430 592 287.


Leave a Reply to Anonymous Cancel reply